London (United Kingdom), Jan 8 (Canadian-Media): Britain’s Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan's shocking plan to step back as senior members of the royal family would allow the young couple to forge a new path for the royals in the modern world, media reports said.
Harry and Meghan. Image credit: Twitter handle
According to the a statement issued by Buckingham Palace Wednesday said the royal couple's intention to become financially independent and shunning public support would allow them to concentrate their work on charities. The statement added that the couple also wished to balance their time between the U.K. and North America, where the 38-year-old Duchess of Sussex grew up.
“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution,” the couple said in a statement. “We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the royal family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support her majesty the queen.”
Harry, 35, sixth in line to the British throne, is a grandson of Queen Elizabeth II.
Before her marriage with Harry in 2018, the duchess was the American actress known as Meghan Markle and a star of the TV show “Suits.” The royal couple has a baby son Archie, who was born in May 2019.
Although as an actress and human rights advocate the duchess was accustomed to media attention before her marriage, but she admitted that the transition to the level of celebrity faced by Britain’s royal family was difficult.
Prince Harry had accused the British media last year for hounding his wife the way they did his mother, Princess Diana, who died in a 1997 car crash while trying to elude paparazzi.
“My deepest fear is history repeating itself. I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditized to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person. I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces,” Harry said in the fall.