Blizzard in Newfoundland & Labrador/Facebook
Closure of all government offices in the St. John's metro area on Monday was announced by the province.
After the the federal government approved the province's request for help with the cleanup, including army mobilization, National Minister of National Defense Harjit Sajjan said the Canadian Armed Forces were already on their way to Newfoundland and added that by the end of the day there would be between 150-200 people on the ground, which could increase to 300 by Monday.
People had been advised by the city of St. John's not to leave their residences unless they require medication.
Closure of many schools and universities on Monday have also been announced
Meanwhile, Memorial University has announced that all St. John's campuses will remain closed while the state of emergency remains in effect.
Around 11:30 a.m. Newfoundland Power was reporting 2,499 customers without electricity after utility restored last night the connections of 75 percent of customers impacted by the storm.
St. John's Airport said in a tweet, that its airfield is only available for "medevac and military aircraft operations" and that commercial flights will not commence by Sunday at 8 p.m.
The state of emergency in St. John's was called partially due to the difficulty of traveling around the city, something local firefighters are experiencing as well.
Extremely long hours are being put by some nurses as cleanup with this storm continues.