#NorthDakota; #Cyberstalking; #ChildExploitation; #ICE; #HSI; #OperationPredator
North Dakota (US), Jun 25 (Canadian-Media): A sentence of 2o years of imprisonment was imposed on Curtis James McGarvey, 52, of Bismarck, North Dakota before U.S. District Judge Daniel Hovland, in federal court on June 23 after he pleaded guilty to cyberstalking and sexually exploiting a minor, media reports said.
In addition, McGarvey was sentenced to serve 10 years supervised release following his prison term, and was ordered to pay nearly $5,000 in restitution to the victim’s family.
The investigation was done by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), the North Dakota Bureau of Investigation, the Burleigh County (North Dakota) States Attorney’s Office, and the Burleigh County Sheriff’s Department.
“The defendant targeted and exploited the child victim,” said U.S. Attorney Drew Wrigley, for the District of North Dakota said in a news release. “His efforts to dehumanize and humiliate the victim stopped with this sentence; a just result to punish this defendant and deter others.”
According to court records and the plea agreement, from Sept 2016 until Jan 2017, and again from Jan 2018 until Apr 2018, McGarvey persuaded, induced, enticed, and forced a minor female victim, 16, to engage in sexually explicit conduct for the purpose of producing and distributing visual depictions of such conduct. He also her personal information from her home and cell phone and manipulated by anonymously sending her nude photographs to others including her own minor and adult children.
This case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Gary Delorm.
This investigation was conducted under HSI’s Operation Predator, an international initiative to protect children from sexual predators.
Since the launch of Operation Predator in 2003, more than 25,000 individuals for crimes against children, had been arrested by HSI, including the production and distribution of online child exploitation material, traveling overseas with minors for sex, and sex trafficking of children.
In the year 2019, HSI special agents had arrested more than 3,500 child predators under this initiative and identified or rescued more than 1,000 victims.
HSI encourages the public to report suspected child predators and any suspicious activity through its toll-free Tip Line at 1-866-DHS-2-ICE or by completing its online tip form. Both are staffed around the clock by investigators. From outside the U.S. and Canada, callers should dial 802-872-6199. Hearing impaired users can call TTY 802-872-6196.
Any suspected child sexual exploitation or missing children may be reported to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, an Operation Predator partner, via its toll-free 24-hour hotline, 1-800-THE-LOST.
For additional information about wanted suspected child predators, download HSI’s Operation Predator smartphone app or visit the online suspect alerts page.
HSI, a founding member of the Virtual Global Taskforce, which is an international alliance of law enforcement agencies and private industry sector partners working together to prevent and deter online child sexual abuse.
#US; #ICE; #ERO; #IAO; #Salvador; #Law&Order; #EOIR
Los Angeles, Jun 19 (Canadian-Media): Pedro Antonio Eguizabal Gonzalez, 45, a Salvadoran national was successfully removed by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) via ICE Air Operations (IAO) charter, June 19, media reports said.
The Juzgado Primero de Paz Court in Santa Ana, El Salvador, issued an arrest warrant for Eguizabal Gonzalez, July 3, 2006 for illegally entering the United States (US) at an unknown time and location without being admitted or paroled by an immigration officer.
Eguizabal Gonzalez was arrested outside his residence in Los Angeles without incident, Nov. 24, 2015 by ICE's ERO Los Angeles, assisted by the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) Fugitive Task Force, when they received a clue.
Eguizabal Gonzalez was ordered by an immigration judge to be removed to El Salvador March 7, 2019 after all his appeals were exhausted by March 2020.
"Through ongoing targeted enforcement efforts and critical partnerships, we have removed another potential predator from our community and helped ensure he faces justice," said ICE's ERO Los Angeles Field Office Director Dave Marin. "Eguizabal Gonzalez and others like him need to know that our nation will not grant them sanctuary. ICE remains fully committed to removing criminal offenders who are here illegally and pose a threat to national security or public safety."
ICE works directly with foreign governments to coordinate the safe return of nationals with final orders of removal from the United States to their home countries and has removed 83,561 foreign nationals between January and June 13 this year alone.
Likewise, the US routinely cooperates with foreign governments in documenting and accepting its citizens.
Aliens to be removed are legally processed by federal immigration judges in the immigration courts administered by the Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), which is a component of the U.S. Department of Justice separate from the Department of Homeland Security and ICE.
EOIR judges make decisions based on the merits of each individual case. ICE officers carry out the removal decisions made by the federal immigration judges.
Geneva, Jun 19 (Canadian-Media): The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights said on Friday that her office was closely following developments as China’s top legislative body, the National People’s Congress, holds talks on a proposed national security law for Hong Kong, UN reports said.
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Michelle Bachelet, briefs the press in Geneva. (4 September 2019). Image credit: N News/Daniel Johnson
Michelle Bachelet stressed that the draft law for the Special Administrative Region must fully comply with China’s human rights obligations.
“Such laws can never be used to criminalize conduct and expression that is protected under international human rights law”, she said.
The draft law reportedly covers four main crimes: succession, subversion of state power, local terrorist activities, and collaborating with foreign or external foreign forces to endanger national security.
Ms. Bachelet said any law for Hong Kong must respect the provisions of two international treaties: one on civil and political rights; the other on economic, social and cultural rights.
Additionally, Hong Kong’s Basic Law provides that any restrictions on rights and freedoms shall not contravene these provisions.
Hong Kong, a former British colony, was handed over to China in 1997, and the Basic Law preserves its autonomy as a Special Administrative Region under the principle of “one country, two systems”.
Ms. Bachelet said any national security law should be clear in scope and definition, and only permit restrictions to human rights that are strictly necessary and proportionate.
The UN Human Rights Office has engaged with Beijing on this issue and will continue to monitor the situation.
#Canada; #China; #CanadiansChargedInChina; CanadaChinaRelations
China, Jun 19 (Canadian-Media): Two Canadian men, Michael Kovrig, and Michael Spavo were detained in China with charges of spying, media reports said.
Image:Canada-China: Image credit: Twitter Handle
Michael Kovrig was detained in Beijing on suspicion of spying for state secrets and intelligence.
Charges against Michael Spavor were laid in Dandong, a city near the North Korean border, on suspicion of spying for a foreign entity and illegally providing state secrets.
Both men had been detained for the last 18 months.
They were charged just weeks after a B.C. court ruled proceedings against extradition case of Meng, a top executive at Chinese tech giant Huawei.
Meng, wanted in the United States on fraud charges related to trading with Iran is currently under house arrest in Vancouver (British Columbia).
China's highest prosecutor's office had announced the in brief social
Canada had been pressurized by China to release Meng and warned that relations between the countries won't improve until she is free, although China denies any link between her case and the lengthy detention of the two Canadian men.
International Criminal Court oversight chief ‘deeply regrets’ US decision to target officials investigating Afghanistan war crimes
#UN; #UNHCR; #ICC; #massAstrocities
Hague (Netherlands), Jun 14 (Canadian-Media): Responding to the decision of the United States Government to sanction International Criminal Court (ICC) officials and their family members, O-Gon Kwon, President of the Assembly of States Parties, the body that oversees the ICC, denounced the measures which, he said, undermine the “endeavour to fight impunity and to ensure accountability for mass atrocities”, UN reports said.
Permanent headquarters of the International Criminal Court at The Hague. (file).
Image credit: UN Photo/Rick Bajornas
The decision, announced on Thursday by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, national security adviser, Robert O’Brien, defence secretary, Mark Esper and attorney general, William Barr, targets ICC officials investigating war crimes allegedly committed in Afghanistan by all sides, including the US, and will also see visa restrictions imposed on their families.
The ICC investigation, given the green light to proceed in March, will be led by ICC Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda, who made the request to to the ICC’s Pre-Trial Chamber in November 2017.
At the time, her Office cited grave crimes “and the absence of relevant national proceedings against those who appear to be most responsible for the most serious crimes”.
Mr. Kwon affirmed the independence and impartiality of the Court, which Mr. Barr questioned during Thursday’s presentation, during which he reportedly referred to the ICC as “little more than a political tool employed by unaccountable international elites”.
The Court, said Mr. Kwon, operates under a system called the Rome Statute, which recognizes that States have primary jurisdiction, when it comes to the investigation and prosecution of atrocity crimes: the ICC, he explained, is a court of last resort, and complementary to national jurisdictions.
He added that the Court, and the Assembly of States Parties, have embarked on a review, aimed at strengthening the Rome Statute, and ensuring effective and efficient accountability for atrocity crimes.
Impact on investigations and trials
The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), also expressed regret at the US decision on Thursday, with spokesperson Rupert Colville telling reporters at a briefing in Geneva that they would have an impact on investigations and trials underway in the ICC.
“The independence of the ICC and its ability to operate without interference has to be guaranteed”, he said, “so that it can decide matters without any improper influences, inducements, pressures, threats or interferences, direct or indirect, from any quarter or for any reason”.
Mr. Colville added that “victims of gross human rights violations and serious violations of international humanitarian law and their families have the right to redress and to the truth”.
#Ontario; #CBSA; #GreaterTorontoArea; #Cannabis; #Covid19Pandemic; #RCMP
Ottawa, Jun 12 (Canadian-Media): It was announced June 12 by Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) that it had seized more than 1,400 kilograms of suspected cannabis from two locations in the Greater Toronto Area, CBSA reports said.
Image: CBSA. Image credit: Twitter handle
CBSA remains committed during the COVID-19 pandemic to ensure essential goods continue to enter Canada’s supply chain while at the same time addressing risks and threats in cross-border trade.
Suspected cannabis with an estimated value of $10.8 million from locations in Brampton and Mississauga, set to be exported were seized in two separate seizures by Commercial Operations Border Services Officers (BSO)s.
While examining shipments at a Brampton warehouse on May 22, 2020, BSOs had found anomalies in a load of over 5,400 kilograms of gardening mulch.
After sifting through shipment, bound for the United States, for nine hours more than 685 kilograms of suspected cannabis was discovered,
The value of the suspected cannabis estimated by CBSA was over $5,000,000.
In a separate incident during examination of an export shipment on May 28, 2020, BSOs seized 800 kilograms of suspected cannabis concealed in plastic kitchen containers at a Mississauga warehouse when a detector dog alerted BSOs about the potential presence of narcotics on the shipment.
The suspected cannabis, estimated by CBSA to be over $5,800,000, was bound for the United States.
All the suspected cannabis was turned over to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).
Investigation of the case by the CBSA continues.
Under the Cannabis Act, it is illegal to import into Canada, or export from Canada, cannabis without a the Government of Canada-issued valid permit.
The CBSA has seized more than 2,070 kilograms of cannabis during 2020 in Greater Toronto Region.
Travellers, mail, courier, and commercial shipments are subject to the Customs Act and examined for prohibited goods, including cannabis.
CBSA asks anyone with information about suspicious cross-border activity to call the CBSA Border Watch Toll-free Line at 1-888-502-9060.