#UN; #NewCeaseFireInSyria; #SafetyOfSyriansViolaed; #SyrianObservatoryForHumanRights
Syria, Jan 18 (Canadian-Media): Citizens in the nation's northwest, where civilians have been killed and displaced by protracted fighting this week that violated the terms of the truce had failed to be protected by a new cease-fire in Syria, the United Nations' top human rights official said Friday, media reports said.
Michelle Bachelet, High Commissioner for Human Rights said efforts to establish "safe corridors" for Syrians trying to escape failed due to the violence, government forces and militias kept fighting after the cease-fire agreement took effect last week.
Smoke rises during fighting in Ras al-Ein town, Syria. The top U.N. human rights official criticized a new cease-fire this week as ineffective. Credit: File Photo by Erdem Sahin/EPA-EFE
Bachelet called for protection of citizens and civilian infrastructure government leaders and de-escalation of fighting in Idlib.
"Our main concern is for the safety of civilians who remain at serious risk," Bachelet said in a statement. "While the pursuit of a cease-fire is, of course, to be encouraged, this agreement ... has yet again failed to protect civilians.
"It is deeply distressing that civilians are still being killed on a daily basis in missile strikes from both the air and ground. Women, men and children simply carrying out everyday activities at home, the workplace, in markets and at schools are being killed and maimed in senseless violence."
Almost two dozen civilians in the Idlib province were killed by the government airstrikes, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Thursday and 82 were injured, the Syrian Civil Defense force said.
According to the estimate of the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Human Affairs 235,000 civilians have been displaced in southern Idlib last month, about 140,000 being children.