#HarryAndMorgan'sMovetoCanada; #SecurityCosts; #BritishTaxPyers
Ottawa, Jan 13 (Canadian-Media): It is undecided if the federal government of canada would help to cover the security costs associated with a move by Prince Harry and his wife Meghan to Canada, Finance Minister Bill Morneau said today, media reports said.
During a meeting on Monday between the Queen, Prince Charles, William and Harry at the Queen's winter residence, Sandringham House, to discuss Harry's future in the House of Windsor, the queen had agreed to the decision of the couple to split their time between Canada and United Kingdom.
Harry and Meghan Markle. Image credit: Twitter handle
The Queen said that she respects and "understands their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family."
The couple had decided to be financially independent and less dependent on funds from the Sovereign Grant to help them carry out their duties.
British taxpayer has already covered the security costs incurred by the royals, but the status of that funding for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex while in Canada is not yet decided due ito their intention to withdraw from public life.
Although Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had committed to Queen that Canada would assume some of the security costs associated with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Morneau said the government has not yet held any formal talks on the matter.
"No, we haven't spent any time thinking about this issue," Morneau told reporters in Toronto. "We obviously are always looking to make sure, as a member of the Commonwealth, we play a role. We have not had any discussions on that subject at this time."
London (United Kingdom), Jan 8 (Canadian-Media): Britain’s Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan's shocking plan to step back as senior members of the royal family would allow the young couple to forge a new path for the royals in the modern world, media reports said.
Harry and Meghan. Image credit: Twitter handle
According to the a statement issued by Buckingham Palace Wednesday said the royal couple's intention to become financially independent and shunning public support would allow them to concentrate their work on charities. The statement added that the couple also wished to balance their time between the U.K. and North America, where the 38-year-old Duchess of Sussex grew up.
“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution,” the couple said in a statement. “We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the royal family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support her majesty the queen.”
Harry, 35, sixth in line to the British throne, is a grandson of Queen Elizabeth II.
Before her marriage with Harry in 2018, the duchess was the American actress known as Meghan Markle and a star of the TV show “Suits.” The royal couple has a baby son Archie, who was born in May 2019.
Although as an actress and human rights advocate the duchess was accustomed to media attention before her marriage, but she admitted that the transition to the level of celebrity faced by Britain’s royal family was difficult.
Prince Harry had accused the British media last year for hounding his wife the way they did his mother, Princess Diana, who died in a 1997 car crash while trying to elude paparazzi.
“My deepest fear is history repeating itself. I’ve seen what happens when someone I love is commoditized to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person. I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces,” Harry said in the fall.