#US; #FormerUSPresident; #DonaldTrump; #TorontoDominionVotingSystems; #RudyGiuliani; #Lawsuit
US/Canadian-Media: US $1.3 billion in damages is being sought by Toronto's Dominion Voting Systems from former U.S. President Donald Trump's lawyer Rudy Giuliani, accusing him and his allies in manufacturing and disseminating lies which went viral and deceived millions of people into believing that Dominion had stolen their votes and fixed the election.
Rudy Giuliani. Image credit: Facebook page
For two months Trump and his allies denied his election defeat to Democrat Joe Biden in the Nov. 3 election and had been claiming without evidence that it was the result of widespread voter fraud before his supporters stormed the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.
Democrats said that the storming of the Capitol building was to enable the country to move forward and ensure such a siege never happens again.
Although some Republican senators agreed with Democrats, the number was not close to the number needed to convict Trump.
Utah Sen. Mitt Romney was the lone Republican to vote to convict Trump when the Senate acquitted, while Republican senators Mike Rounds, John Cornyn, and Lindsey Graham were among those who recently voiced opposition to the impeachment trial.
One of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's nine impeachment managers, Rep. Madeleine Dean, a Democrat from Pennsylvania said Trump's encouragement of his loyalists before the riot was an extraordinarily heinous presidential crime.
Trump's supporters invaded the Capitol and interrupted the electoral count as he falsely claimed there was massive fraud in the Nov. 3 election and that it was stolen by Biden. Trump's claims were roundly rejected in the courts, including by judges appointed by Trump, and by state election officials.
Democratic Sen. Chris Coons of Delaware said in an interview with The Associated Press on Sunday the insurrection was a "stunning violation" of the centuries-old tradition of peaceful transfers of power and added,
"It is a critical moment in American history, and we have to look at it and look at it hard," Coons said.
Formed in Toronto in 2002, with its U.S. headquarters in Denver, Co., Dominion filed an earlier lawsuit against Trump campaign lawyer Sidney Powell, accusing him of spreading false conspiracy theories for two months about the election.
Dominion Voting System. Image credit: dominionvoting.com
#Canada; #U.S.; #KeystonePipelineProject; #GreenParty; #NDP; #ConservativeParty; #JustinTrudeau; #JoeBiden
Canada/Canadian-Media: U.S. president-elect Joe Biden's planned Keystone XL cancellation after officially becoming the U.S. President, was reacted differently by the different political parties of Canada, media reports said.
Keystone Pipeline Project. Image credit: Wikipedia
The Keystone Pipeline project has long been supported by Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau as it would fetch more than 800,000 barrels of Alberta oil a day to refineries in Texas.
The project also had full support from the oilpatch with the justification it would allow Canadian producers to fetch prices closer to the going world rate.
In a statement released late Sunday, Canada's ambassador to the U.S., Kirsten Hillman, said the government "continues to support the Keystone XL project and the benefits that it will bring to both Canada and the United States."
"This infrastructure will safely transport Canadian crude oil that is produced under one of the strongest environmental and climate policy frameworks in the world, and will strengthen the vital Canada-U.S. energy relationship," she said.
But Biden's plan was welcomed by the leaders of Green Party, and National Democratic Party (NDP), two of Canada's opposition parties.
Green Party Leader Annamie Paul said that through Biden's plan to block the project the U.S. would be able see Biden as a committed climate warrior and that Canada who had not been serious about tackling the climate emergency should appoint its own minister for climate.
Applauding Biden's expected executive action, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh told reporters that he agreed with Biden's decision and added, "This is the direction that the future requires, we've got to fight the climate crisis."
"Global markets are clearer than ever that the jobs of the future are jobs that help us fight the climate crisis and that's where we need to make investments," Singh said. "Justin Trudeau has failed on this."
The federal government needs to shift its attention to support green jobs and clean energy.
On the other hand Conservative Leader Erin O'Toole, said revoking of the Keystone XL permits by the U.S. would further imperil Canada's oil sector and the tens of thousands of jobs that are tied to the industry.
"This move will devastate thousands of Canadian families who have already been badly hurt by the economic crisis," O'Toole said in a statement.
"I call on the Prime Minister to immediately reach out to the incoming U.S. administration to stop this from happening and stand up for working Canadians across Canada."
#IRCC; #MengWanzhou; #MengWanzhouFamily
Ottawa/ Canadian-Media: Detained Huawei telecom executive Meng Wanzhou's husband Liu Xiaozong, and her two children were granted permission to come to Canada by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) officials, media reports said.
Meng Wanzhou. Image credit: Wikimedia Commons
Liu came to Canada in October and was followed by the couple's children in December.
Meng, chief financial officer for Huawei Technologies Co., was detained in December 2018 while she was changing planes in Vancouver.
This was followed by her arrest on a U.S. extradition request over allegations of lying to a Hong Kong banker in August 2013 about Huawei's control of a subsidiary accused of violating U.S. sanctions against Iran.
She has been released on bail but has consistently denied the charges against her.
Meng is required to wear a GPS ankle monitoring bracelet, subject to the bail conditions, and is confined to her home from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. every day and is allowed to travel around the Lower Mainland with security guards paid by her during the day.
The extradition proceeding is expected to begin at the beginning of March, and would continue until the end of April.
#UnitedStates; #RussiaLinkedDisinformationNetwork; #Sanctions; #influecingUSElections
United States/Canadian-Media: Sanctions are being imposed today by the United States (US) on seven individuals and four entities, who are part of a Russia-linked foreign influence network associated with Andrii Derkach, Michael R. Pompei, Secretary of State of US said.
Fake News media. Image credit: Pixaby
Derkach, a member of the Ukrainian parliament, has been an active Russian agent for more than a decade, maintaining close connections with Russian intelligence services and who was designated on September 10, 2020, pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13848 for his attempt to influence the 2020 U.S. Presidential election.
Former Ukraine Government officials Konstantin Kulyk, Oleksandr Onyshchenko, Andriy Telizhenko, and current member of the Ukrainian parliament Oleksandr Dubinsky have publicly appeared with or affiliated themselves with Derkach through the coordinated dissemination and promotion of fraudulent malicious narratives that U.S. Government officials have engaged in corrupt dealings in Ukraine.
These efforts and narratives are consistent with or in support of Derkach’s objectives to influence the 2020 U.S. presidential election.
As such, these individuals have been designated pursuant to E.O. 13848 for having directly or indirectly engaged in, sponsored, concealed, or otherwise been complicit in foreign influence in an attempt to undermine the 2020 U.S. elections.
Today’s action also includes the designation of Petro Zhuravel, Dmytro Kovalchuk, and Anton Simonenko for having materially assisted, sponsored, or provided financial, material, or technological support for, or goods or services to or in support of, Derkach