#Washington, #US; #Beijing; #China; #TradeWar; #JoeBidenAdministration
Washington, Nov 11 (Canadian-Media): There is a likelihood of that the trade war between Washington and Beijing would stop under a Joe Biden administration, media reports said.
Joe Biden. Image credit: Twitter handle
Although all major US networks and media outlets this weekend projected Biden to be the winner of the presidential election by, Trump refuses to concede and has filed several legal challenges.
US President Donald Trump's decision in June 2018 to impose 25-percent tariffs on $50 billion worth of Chinese goods in a bid to fix the US-Chinese trade deficit had started the tariff war between the US and China.
After the US more than doubled import duties on $200 billion of Chinese goods last May, Beijing retaliated by increasing tariffs on US imports later that year.
According to the Phase 1 trade agreement between the US and China at the beginning of 2020, Beijing had agreed to increase purchases of US goods and services by $200 billion over the next two years.
Consequently China reduced in February 50 percent tariffs it had imposed on a number of US goods.
#Japan; #US; #JapanUSRelations; #USPresidentialElections
Tokyo, Nov 6 (Canadian-Media): Yoshihide Suga, Japanese Prime Minister said Nov 6 at a meeting of the parliament’s budget committee in Tokyo that irrespective of which presidential candidate comes out on top, close cooperation between Japan and the United States will remain unchanged.
Japan-US Relations. Image credit: Wikipedia
“So far, the situation is such that it is not clear which of the candidates will win, but the Japanese-American alliance is for Japan the core of its foreign policy and security. We will continue close cooperation with the United States, there are no changes in this,” Suga said.
Suga also emphasized the importance of the ties between Washington and Beijing on Japan’s interests and global stability.
Suga also was reported to tell the lawmakers the importance for peace and stability of the global community depended on the stability of bilateral relations between the United States and China for the national interests of Japan.
The counting of US Presidential election votes is still being processed showing the US President Donald Trump and Democratic contender Joe Biden virtually neck-and-neck in several key swing states.
#Washington; #Russia; #Iran; #Hacking; #USElection; #SecurityThreat; #CyberSecurity
Washington, Oct 22 (Canadian-Media): While senior Trump administration officials had been complaining against Iran in actively interfering in the presidential election, many other intelligence officials said they were more concerned about Russia for hacking into state and local computer networks in breaches that could allow Moscow broader access to American voting infrastructure, media reports said.
Hacking. Image credit: Pixaby
The discovery of the hacks came as American intelligence agencies were able to pieced together details of Russia’s plans to interfere in the presidential race in its final days or immediately after the election on Nov. 3.
Although there was no evidence of any change by Russia in vote tallies or voter registration information, the Russian-backed hackers had penetrated the computer networks.
Nonetheless, both the Iranian and the Russian activity could pave the way for “perception hacks.”
Officials say Russia’s ability to change vote tallies nationwide is limited.
A hacking group believed to be operating on behalf of Russia’s Federal Security Service, the F.S.B. — the successor agency to the Soviet-era K.G.B. — has infiltrated multiple state and local computer networks in recent weeks, according to officials and researchers.
The Russian hackers were able to get inside some election administrators’ systems and had access to voting information. The officials fear that Russia could change, delete or freeze voter data, making it harder for voters to cast ballots, invalidating mail-in ballots or creating enough uncertainty to undermine election results.
“It’s reasonable to assume any attempt at the election systems could be for the same purpose,” said John Hultquist, the director of threat analysis at FireEye, a security firm that has been tracking the Russian group’s foray into state and local systems. “This could be the reconnaissance for disruptive activity.”
China, #ChinaAmbassador, #Canada, #HongKong, #CongPeiwu
Ottawa, Oct 16 (Canadian-Media): Cong Peiwu, China’s Ambassador to Canada urged Ottawa during a video conference Oct 16 from the Chinese Embassy in Ottawa not to grant asylum to Hong Kong protesters, fleeing a widely criticized national security law imposed by Beijing.
Hongkong protesters: Wikipedia
"We strongly urge the Canadian side not (to) grant so-called political asylum to those violent criminals in Hong Kong," Cong said the video press conference and added,
"So if the Canadian side really cares about the stability and the prosperity in Hong Kong, and really cares about the good health and safety of those 300,000 Canadian passport holders in Hong Kong, and the large number of Canadian companies operating in Hong Kong SAR, you should support those efforts to fight violent crimes," Cong said.
His said that his government demands that Canada release Meng immediately but insisted her case and his government's prosecution of Kovrig and Spavor are not linked.
"We oppose any remarks that interfere in our internal affairs. And I would like to point out, there is no coercive diplomacy on the Chinese side," Cong said.
#Germany, #AlfredWegenerInstitut; #MOSAiCPolarResearchExpedition; #Sexism
Germany, Oct 6 (Canadian-Media): Antje Boetius, the director of the Alfred-Wegener-Institut, which led the year-long MOSAiC polar research expedition, says dress codes that prohibit female participants from wearing tight-fitting clothing are not meant to be sexist, media reports said.
MOSAiC polar research expedition. Image credit: website
Antje Boetius' announcement came days after an incident of sexual harassment on the ship, placing blame on female passengers and their dress codes, journalist Chelsea Harvey reported.
"These clothing regulations are so normal for people joining expeditions, and they are existing on research vessels worldwide," Antje Boetius told CBC. "It would have not occurred to me that this was linked to gender," CBC News reported.
Billed as the world's largest and longest polar research mission, the MOSAiC Expedition aimed at making groundbreaking observations about the changing climate embedded scientists in Arctic sea ice for one year.
During the mission's final phase, female participants aboard the mission's support ship 11 months previously had been told wearing tight or revealing clothing could pose a "safety risk" with men at sea for an extended period.
The Alfred-Wegener-Institut did not initially comment on Harvey's reporting when it was first published in September.
But amid growing reaction to CBC's reporting on the story, the institute released a lengthy statement accusing the CBC and Harvey of "scandaliz[ing] and sexualiz[ing] gender-neutral regulations that are perfectly commonplace on commercial and research vessels."
"We were told there are a lot of men on board this ship … and some of them are going to be on board this ship for months at a time," Harvey told CBC last month. "In my meeting … what we were told was this was a 'safety issue.'"
The statement signed by 18 members of the MOSAiC School, saying that policies made on this cruise, and the communication of those policies implied that "women's dress may invite or justify experiencing harassment or misconduct."
Even though many leading polar institutions are led by women, sexism still widespread in the sciences, and in polar research in particular multiple studies revealed that numbers of female researchers experience some form of harassment in their careers.
But Boetius was perplexed that the clothing policy described by Harvey could be perceived as sexist.
"We think there are many more important issues to address," she said and added,
"For all the struggles we fight, to think that coming with clean clothes to a mess room, that this is a gender issue," she said, "this is not the fight we need to fight."
#US; #10thEastAsiaSummit; #VirtualForeignMinistersMeeting
Washington, Sep 9 (Canadian-Media): The below is attributable to Spokesperson Morgan Ortagus, US Dept of Stat reports said.
Image credit: Twitter handle
Secretary of State Michael R. Pompeo joined counterparts from 17 countries for the 10th East Asia Summit Foreign Ministers’ Meeting this morning. Secretary Pompeo highlighted U.S. support for principles of openness, inclusiveness, transparency, and respect for international law. These principles are shared across our Indo-Pacific vision, ASEAN’s Outlook on the Indo Pacific, and the visions of many other EAS member states.
The Secretary praised ASEAN unity and transparency in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and outlined U.S. efforts to leverage all available resources to develop safe, effective, affordable, and widely available vaccines and therapeutics to fight against the virus. He also underscored the U.S. commitment—both government and private sector—to partnering with ASEAN countries in economic recovery efforts.
Secretary Pompeo joined several ASEAN countries and many other partners in raising concerns over the PRC’s aggressive actions in the South China Sea. He reiterated that the United States, in line with the 2016 Arbitral Tribunal Award, regards Beijing’s expansive maritime claims in the South China Sea as unlawful. Secretary Pompeo also joined several countries in raising concerns over the imposition of sweeping national security legislation on Hong Kong, the arrests of pro-democracy students, the year-long postponement of elections, and disqualification of pro-democracy electoral candidates.
Secretary Pompeo, along with other ministers, called for a cessation of violence and a negotiated solution to escalating violence in Rakhine State, and for the DPRK to abandon its WMD and ballistic missile programs, as required by UN Security Council resolutions.
#US; #USPresidentTrump; #NobelPeacePrizeNomination; #Norweigh
Washington, Sep 9 (Canadian-Media): US President Donald Trump has been nominated for the 2021 Nobel Peace Prize, media reports said.
Donald Trump. Image credit: Twitter handle
A four-term member of the Norwegian Parliament, Christian Tybring-Gjedde, who is also the chairman of the Norwegian delegation to the NATO Parliamentary Assembly, submitted the nomination, Fox News reported.
The news comes just weeks after Trump helped broker peace between Israel and the United Arab Emirates (UAE).
“I think he has done more trying to create peace between nations than most other Peace Prize nominees,” Christian Tybring-Gjedde was quoted as saying by Fox News.
“As it is expected other Middle Eastern countries will follow in the footsteps of the UAE, this agreement could be a game changer that will turn the Middle East into a region of cooperation and prosperity,” Tybring-Gjedde wrote in his nomination letter to the Nobel Committee.
The United Arab Emirates and Israel’s agreement to establish full diplomatic ties as part of a deal to halt the annexation of occupied land sought by the Palestinians for their future state, was announced by Trump on Aug 13.
The announcement makes the UAE first Gulf Arab state to do so and only the third Arab nation to have active diplomatic ties to Israel.
Trump’s Nobel Peace Prize nomination comes just weeks before the crucial US presidential elections, where the Republican’s presidential candidate is running a campaign against his rival Joe Biden.
Americans will head to the polls on November 3, 2020, and vote to elect a new government for the next four years or re-elect Trump for a second term.
#US; #US2020Election; #DonaldTrump; #RepublicanNominee
Washington, Aug 28 (Canadian-Media): In his address to the Republican National Convention at the South Lawn of the White House, US President Donald Trump officially accepted Aug 27 the Republican Party’s nomination to run for re-election.
Donald Trump. Image credit: Wallpaper Cave
“I profoundly accept this nomination for President of the United States,” Trump said.
When Trump declared in his speech that, "This is the most important election in the history of our country," his rival, Joe Biden, the U.S. Democratic Party nominee, tweeted: "Donald Trump is right, this is the most important election in the history of our country."
#Canada; #Halifax; #COVID19Vaccine; #Collaboration; #NRC; #CanSinoBiologics
Ottawa, Aug 27 (Canadian-Media): The rising tensions tensions between Canada and China resulted in the ceasing of the collaboration between a Chinese company CanSino Biologics and a Halifax research team aiming to carry out Canada's first clinical trials of a potential COVID-19 vaccine, media reports said.
Ad5-ncov. Image credit: Facebook page
Vaccines are urgently needed by the federal governments across the world subject to the safety and efficacy of clinical trials shown in thousands of human volunteers before administering these to the general public.
The Chinese company, CanSino's vaccine, called Ad5-nCoV, was already being run through human trials in China and had shown promising results.
In May of this year a partnership was announced by the federal government of Canada between Canada's publicly funded National Research Council of Canada (NRC) and CanSino Biologics to allow NRC to scale up the technology needed to produce sufficient number of potential vaccines to protect Canadians.
The Canadian Centre for Vaccinology at Dalhousie University was supposed to work with CanSino to run the first Canadian clinical trials for a possible COVID-19 vaccine.
But CBC News was told by NRC that the Chinese customs had not approved the vaccine candidate to be shipped to Canada.
"Subsequent to signing [the agreement], the government of China introduced process changes regarding shipping vaccines to other countries," the NRC said in a statement. "The process is not clear to the NRC, but CanSino does not have the authority to ship the vaccine at this time."
#US; #FDA; #BloodPlasma; #Covid19Treatment;
Washington, Aug 24 (Canadian-Media): Emergency authorisation for the use of plasma to treat coronavirus patients was given Aug 23 by the United States (US) Food and Drug Administration (FDA), media reports said.
U.S. FDA. Image credit: Twitter handle
This procedure has already been used on over 70,000 people in the US and uses antibody-rich blood plasma from people who've recovered from the disease.
US President Donald Trump said the blood plasma treatment could reduce deaths by nearly 35 percent.
Describing the procedure as a powerful therapy, Trump appealed Americans to come forward to donate plasma if they've recovered from COVID-19.
Early research suggests, said the FDA that besides decreasing mortality, blood plasma can improve patient health if administered within the first three days of their hospitalisation.
The agency said it came to the conclusion about the safety of this treatment after an extensive review of data collected during recent months.