Palestinians threatens to cut ties with US and Israel after rejecting Trump's Middle East peace plan
#PalestineAuthority; #MiddleEastPeacePlan; #U.S., #Israeil; #Cairo; #CIA; #DonaldTrump
Cairo (Egypt), Feb 1 (Canadian-Media): Palestinian Authority threatened to cut all ties with the US and Israel, including those relating to security after it rejected a Middle East peace plan presented by United States President Donald Trump, said the Palestinian president, Mahmoud Abbas on Saturday, media reports said.
Mahmoud Abbas. Image credit: Facebook
“We’ve informed the Israeli side … that there will be no relations at all with them and the United States including security ties,” Abbas told the one-day emergency meeting in Cairo, which was called to discuss Trump’s plan.
Israeli officials did not comment immediately
There had been cooperation between Israel and Palestinian Authority security forces policing areas of the occupied West Bank that are under Palestinian control. The Palestinian Authority, which has intelligence cooperation agreements with the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) -- a civilian foreign intelligence service of the federal government of the United States -- continued even after the Palestinians began boycotting Trump’s peace efforts in 2017.
Middle East Peace Plan presented by Trump also implied US recognition of Israeli settlements on occupied West Bank land and of Jerusalem as Israel’s indivisible capital.
The plan did not meet the aspirations of Palestinians, the Arab League foreign ministers meeting in Cairo said, and added the League would not cooperate with the US in implementing it.
It was considered by most countries that Israeli settlements on land captured in war to be a violation of international law.