#RoyalFamily; #BuckinghamPalace; PrinceHarrySaddened; #SteppingBackFromRoyalDuties;
London (England), Jan 20 (Canadian-Media): Prince Harry said on Sunday that he was greatly saddened to step back from his royal duties, media reports said.
Prince Harry. Image credit: Facebook
Although their announcement caught the rest of the Royal Family by surprise and left the Queen and other senior Windsors hurt and disappointed, according to royal sources, a TV interview aired in October, both had made it clear how they were struggling with the immense media attention.
But reacting to the plans by Harry and Megan earlier this month to reduce their royal duties and spend more time in Canada, Buckingham Palace and the Queen announced on Saturday that Harry and Meghan would no longer use their "royal highness" titles nor receive any public funding, would repay 2.4 million pounds ($4 million Cdn) used by refurbishing their cottage in Windsor, and they will not participate in any future ceremonial events or royal tours.
In a speech to the Sentebale charity, Harry said the final outcome was not what he had wanted.
"Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the Commonwealth and my military associations without public funding. Sadly that wasn't possible," said prince Harry.
"I've accepted this knowing it doesn't change who I am, or how committed I am. But I hope that helps you understand what it had come to, that I would step back from all I have ever known to take a step forward into what I hope can be a more peaceful life."
"It brings me great sadness that it has come to this," Harry said.
"I want you to hear the truth from me, as much as I can share not as a Prince, or a Duke, but as Harry, the same person that many of you have watched grow up over the last 35 years but with a clearer perspective," he said. "The U.K. is my home and a place that I love. That will never change."