Russia, Aug 12 (Canadian-Media): In the wake of ongoing demonstrations for exclusion of opposition candidates from the September ballot, Google had been asked by Russian government not to advertise illegal mass news on YouTube, media reports said.
Google was also warned by the nation’s state communications watchdog, Roscomnadzor, that lack of response by Google would be considered interference in its sovereign affairs and obstruction of democratic elections in Russia, but he did not provided more details of measures he would take.
It had come to Roscomnadzor's notice that tools such as push notifications from YouTube, have been bought by some organizations, to spread news about protests for illegal purposes, such as disrupting elections.
It was reported that on on Saturday, several YouTube channels streamed live broadcasts of the latest protest in Moscow, said to be the nation’s largest demonstration in eight years.
Late last year Google was fined 500,000 roubles, about $7,663 by the Russian government for declining to remove certain entries from its search results.