#NovaScotia; #Apr18ShootingRampage; #ProvincialJudge; #RCMP; #UnsealSearchWarrants
Nova Scotia, Jul 20 (Canadian-Media): As part of CBC's application, in a closed hearing July 20, a Nova Scotia (NS) judge, Laurel Halfpenny MacQuarrie, and Crown prosecutors representing the RCMP are expected to question investigators involved in the NS shootings to unseal search warrants in the case, media reports said.
Nova Scotia Provincial Court. Image credit: Courts.ns.ca
A 51-year-old denturist, Gabriel Wortman's killing rampage lasting 13 hours and a span of more than 150 kilometres on April 18 and 19 in rural NS resulted in the deaths of twenty-two people, torching of homes, and shooting pets.
After a lengthy search, police were able to shoot and kill the man in Enfield, N.S.
Following an application launched by CBC, NS RCMP were able to obtain 23 judicial authorizations in the case and, Halfpenny MacQuarrie agreed to release parts of seven of them in May.
Much of the information included in the blacked out, was given by the shooter's common-law to police containing details in witness statements and the calibre of the firearms used in the attacks.
MacQuarrie is scheduled to consider whether the redacted sections of five search warrants and two production orders should be released to the public.
"The issue for this Court becomes how do I adhere to the principle of an open Court while balancing the need to protect confidential and/or privileged information," said Halfpenny MacQuarrie in a June 16 ruling.
These documents described what People had told investigators that the gunman had a history of abuse, was paranoid, and had recently stockpiled gasoline. One person described him as a psychopath.
During filing of the submissions with the court last month, provincial Crown attorneys Mark Heerema and Shauna MacDonald said that material sealed to protect the investigation, including the models of guns the killer used, should remain sealed for six months.
The Crowns also said that the details protecting the interests of innocent persons should remain sealed permanently.
Although Canadian courts have different procedure for handling unsealed applications, Halfpenny MacQuarrie said the proceedings for this case on July 20 and July 21, will be closed to the public and media as the judge will evaluate if the Crown can prove that redactions could protect privileged information, and that the release of information could harm investigations.
Federal prosecutors are representing the Canada Border Services Agency, as police believe three of the firearms the gunman used came into Canada illegally from the U.S.
However, in the absence of an affidavit filed by the agency, the agency says it will not oppose the release of redacted information in the first seven warrant documents.
#Quebec, #QuebecProvincialPolice; #AmberAlert
Quebec, Jul 11 (Canadian-Media): Bodies of two girls believed to have been abducted by their father have been found in Saint-Apollinaire, southwest of Quebec City by Quebec provincial police after a three-day search, media reports said.
Quebec provincial police. Image credit: https://www.sq.gouv.qc.ca
The amber Alert, first issued Wednesday afternoon has been lifted by the Police, and search for the father, 44-year-old Martin Carpentier is being intensified.
A Sûreté du Québec spokesperson said paramedics are evaluating the girls' condition.
"We're not confirming any deaths at this time," Sgt. Ann Mathieu said.
The focus of the Police search was a wooded area in Saint-Apollinaire. A Canadian Armed Forces helicopter had joined in the search.
Québec spokesperson Sgt. Louis-Philippe Bibeau said after interviewing several witnesses and the children's mother, investigators had reason to believe the girls were abducted by their father.
Carpentier with thin hair weighs 130 pounds and is five feet 10 inches tall. He was last seen wearing a grey T-shirt and jeans. He may be wearing glasses.
Th police have said that anyone with information should call 911.
#Nunavik, #Quebec; IllegalDrugs; #investigation
Nunavik (Quebec), Jul 4 (Canadian-Media): Illegal drugs and alcoholic beverages worth more than $55,000 were seized by the police over the past two weeks, after executing several search warrants across several communities, according to a news release Thursday from the Kativik Regional Police Force.
Seizure of alcoho beverages. Image credit: krpf.ca
14 remote northern villages in the Kativik region in northern Quebec are policed by the Force.
A total of 11 search warrants were executed in Akulivik, Kangiqsualujjuaq, Kangiqsujuaq, Kuujjuaq, Salluit, and Puvirnituq, according to the news release.
"The success of investigations is directly linked to the amount and the quality of information we receive from the public," said Deputy Chief Jean-François Morin in a written statement.
"Lately, we've received a lot of information regarding the illegal sale of drugs and alcohol. This has allowed us to corroborate the information, ask for warrants and conduct seizures. I encourage citizens to continue to report these types of activities, and I pledge to continue our efforts to eliminate contraband."
The investigations are in process, and individuals under search warrants may face charges, states the news release.
#Canada #JustinTrudeau; #InvestigativeLaw; #FederalEthicsWatchdog; #WeCharityContract
Ottawa, Jul 4 (Canadian-Media): Investigation for Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is is in process for the third time by the federal ethics watchdog, this time for his government’s decision to outsource management of a $900 million COVID-19 student grant program to the WE Charity with links to Trudeau's family, media reports said.
Justin Trudeau. Image credit: Facebook Page
Trudeau and his mother, Margaret, had attended several WE Day events, while Trudeau's wife, Sophie Grégoire Trudeau, is an “ambassador and ally,” as well as hosts a podcast for the group called "WE Well-being."
Canada government’s decision to outsource the student grant program to the We Charity founded by Craig and Marc Kielburger has been strongly criticized since its announcement on June 25.
The Conservative party of Canada under the leadership of Andrew Scheer had called for an investigation by the auditor general.
Conservative MP and Ethics Critic Michael Barrett had written to the ethics commissioner on June 28 with concerns about the prime minister’s connections to the charity.
Barrett claimed that Trudeau is obliged to recuse himself from any discussion or decision relating to WE Charity, and that Trudeau violated the Act when he announced that WE Charity would administer the Canada Student Service Grant.
Trudeau violated another section of the Act, Barrett alleged, dealing with affording preferential treatment when he said WE Charity was the "only organization" qualified to run the program, when as a matter fact many other national volunteer organizations exist.
It’s the third conflict of interest complaint made by NDP ethics critic Charlie Angus to the watchdog about the Canada's Prime Minister.
Canada's ethics watchdog has also been informed by Angus about two two earlier instances, that of of prime minister’s role in the SNC-Lavalin affair, and the Trudeau family vacation to the Aga Khan’s private island in 2016, where Trudeau was found in violation of the federal Conflict of Interest Act.