#Toronto; #ConsGenOfIndiToronto; #FICCI; #VFSCExpo; #FMCG
Toronto, Aug 2 (Canadian-Media): Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) is pleased to announce that India’s largest Virtual Exhibition & Conference, India Virtual FMCG & Supply Chain Expo 2020 (VFSC Expo) would be held from 10th - 14th August 2020, Office of Consulate General of India, Toronto reports said.
VFSC Expo. Image credit: Twitter handle
Virtual Exhibition, Buyer Seller Meet and sector specific Webinars & Live Sessions would comprise this web-based Virtual platform.
Unlimited business opportunities would be offered by VFSC Expo to the entire ecosystem of Fast-Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) Supply Chain & logistics industry.
The Focus Sectors in VFSC Expo are Food Processing & Beverages; Beauty and Personal Care Products; E-Commerce, Supply Chain & Logistics; Finance and Information Technology Services; and Plastic & Packaging Technologies.
Corporate videos, brochures, and catalogues would serve to display the exhibitors' brands their services, and credentials digitally on their booth as well as prefix meetings with visitors from over 100 countries across the globe and meet them through text/video chat 24x7 during the Expo.
Immersive participation would be experienced by the exhibitors and visitors to reach out to their target audience seamlessly, without traveling and from the comfort of their office or home through laptop, tab, or mobile device with internet connectivity.
Larger buyer groups would be able to communicate simultaneously through Webinars and Live Sessions during the Expo.
Participation of the virtual conference is facilitated by registering at:
#ConsGenOfIndiaTorontoOffice; #Covid19; #EconomicRecoveryIndia; #InvestmentsInIndia
Toronto, Jul 22 (Canadian-Media): COVID-19 Pandemic has severely dampened the economic activities across the world. While recovery still seems distant, we are beginning to see green shoots of recovery in India, the Consulate General of India Toronto's office reports said.
COVID-19 Pandemic. Image credit: Twitter handle
Investor confidence has remained strong and we expect the domestic consumption to lead the restart of the economic engine. India is emerging as a magnet for investments by leading global tech and innovative companies even in this pandemic times.
Recent Investment (April-July 2020)
Google, the largest tech company in the world has announced that it would be investing $10 billion in India. The investment announcement came after a conversation between Sundar Pichai, Chief Executive of Google and our Prime Minister.
Google Tech. Image credit: Facebook page
Even in a pandemic situation, several other global leaders have announced large investments in the last 3 months itself. Some of these include; Google ($ 10 billion), Walmart ($ 1.2 billion), Foxconn ($ 1 billion), Facebook ($5.7 billion in India’s Reliance Jio Platforms), Qualcomm Ventures ($ 97 million), Thomson ($ 142.8 million), We Work Global ($ 100 million), Hitachi ($ 15.9 million), KIA Motors ($ 54 million) and Saudi Arabia’s PIF($ 1.6 billion). Other companies, including Hyundai Mobis, SGS, Axtria, f5, Tsuzuki, Samsung have also announced plans for major investments in India. Recent articles are attached.
Alphabet Inc. Image credit: Facebook page
India’s response to COVID 19
Despite the size of our population, the ratio of our positive cases per million remains the lowest at 538, and that of deaths per million remains at 15, compared to the global average of 1453 and 68.7 respectively. In addition to this, India has shown a robust recovery rate of nearly 64% with about 5.9 lakh recoveries in total. Our active cases remain around 3 lakh, while our fatality rate at 2.7% is much lower than the world average of over 5%. India has tested around 11.8 million people so far, making it one of the largest testing undertaken by a country.
India’s Covid strategy rests on the three pillars of testing, contact tracing and strict containment measures. Indigenously developed digital tools such as Aarogya Setu app are being widely used to predict emerging hotspots in the country. The Aarogya Setu app is presently being used by over 140 million people in the country.
An article written by the Foreign Secretary of India, Mr. Harsh Vardhan Shringla on India’s response to the global pandemic is attached herewith.
#Toronto; #ConsulateGeneralofIndiaToronto; IndiaPMNarndraModi; #RewaSolarProject
Toronto, Jul 11 (Canadian-Media): Given below is address given by India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the dedication of 750 MW Rewa Solar Project to the Nation, Consulate General of India, Toronto office reported.
Image credit: Twitter handle
#Toronto; #Ottawa; #HighCommissionOfIndia; #InternationalCollaboration; #Covid19Pandemic
Toronto, Jun 16 (Canadian-Media): Consulate General of India, Toronto issued the following press release on June 16 regarding a telephone conversation between India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
#Canada; #PublicHealth; #opioidRelatedOverdoseDeaths; #Covid19Pandemic; #TorontoParamedic
Ottawa, May 29 (Canadian-Media): In lieu of a daily in-person update to the media, Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada's Chief Public Health Officer, issued the following statement today.
Dr. Theresa Tam. Image credit: Twitter handle
“As of Friday, May 29, there are 88,856 COVID-19 cases, including 6,918 deaths and 47,163 or 53 percent have now recovered. Labs across Canada have tested over 1,593,000 people for COVID-19 to date, with about 5 percent of these testing positive overall. Over the past week, we have been testing an average of 22,300 people daily. These numbers change quickly. I encourage Canadians to consult Canada.ca/coronavirus for the latest information.
While everyone in Canada is working hard in the fight against COVID-19, there is an increasing concern about a range of unintended negative consequences of the pandemic response. Among these is the impact on the ongoing public health crisis of opioid-related overdose deaths and problematic substance use in Canada more broadly.
This week, the British Columbia Coroners Service reported that unintentional illicit drug toxicity deaths have increased in recent months, with over 100 reported deaths in the province in both March and April 2020. These data indicate a very worrying trend. It has been over a year since British Columbia observed numbers this high sustained over a two-month period.
Tragically, other jurisdictions across the country are reporting similar trends. In April 2020, Toronto Paramedic Services reported the highest number of illicit opioid-related fatalities in a month since September 2017, noting responses to 343 suspected drug overdose calls including 25 deaths. Overdose interventions have also spiked at the Calgary Drop-In Centre, where staff reversed over 40 overdoses in both March and April 2020 compared to 11 in February. There have also been clusters of overdoses due to unknown or unusual mixes of toxic illicit substances in jurisdictions, including Nova Scotia, Toronto, and Guelph, Ontario.
While it remains vital to keep up public health measures to protect Canadians from COVID-19, we must find ways to maintain lifesaving supports, including treatment and harm reduction services, for loved ones and members of our communities who use drugs. Changes in the illegal drug supply in the wake of COVID-19 may result in increased risk of overdose for anyone who uses illicit drugs.
We know that using drugs alone is a major risk factor for experiencing a fatal overdose. This is why it is so important to never use drugs alone. Always have someone nearby to call for help if things go wrong and carry naloxone, a life-saving drug that can temporarily reverse the effects of an opioid-related overdose. If you are isolated because of COVID-19, connect virtually to someone close by who can monitor you and be ready to call 9-1-1 (or your local emergency help line) if needed.
It is encouraging to see community organizations and orders of government across the country coming together to address the dual public health crises of COVID-19 and drug overdose deaths in Canada. Harm reduction and treatment facilities are implementing infection controls. Virtual and mobile services are being ramped up to serve people at a distance. Apps like the Lifeguard App in British Columbia will automatically contact 9-1-1 if you don’t click in within 75 seconds of taking a drug. Organizations like Stella’s Circle in Newfoundland and Labrador are providing clients with smartphones, tablets and Wi-Fi to help them access online mental wellness and substance use supports. Others are providing adequate housing, meals and improving access to medications for substance use disorders, pain and other medical conditions to minimise drug-related harms and the impacts of COVID-19.
Keep innovating Canada – we must continue to work together to reduce drug-related harms while also keeping up with essential public health measures to reduce the impact of COVID-19.”
#CityOfToronto; #TrinityBellwoods; #Covid19Pandemic; #SocialDistancing; #ByLawEenforcement
Toronto, May 24 (Canadian-Media): City of Toronto issued May 23 the following statement on Trinity Bellwoods.
City of Toronto. Image credit: Twitter handle
"COVID-19 remains a real and present threat to the city of Toronto and its residents.
Images today of thousands of people gathered in Trinity Bellwoods Park were unacceptable. Gatherings like this, where people aren’t keeping their distance from others, run the risk of setting Toronto back significantly in its efforts to stop the transmission of COVID-19.
More than 700 people from Toronto have tragically lost their lives due to COVID-19. Public gatherings, like today’s in Trinity Bellwoods Park, threaten to undo the difficult and challenging work residents of this city have done over the last 10 weeks in their collective effort to beat COVID-19.
People are encouraged to go out, yes, but they must stay two metres apart from anyone who is not from their household. That is the science; that is what experts like Toronto’s Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Eileen de Villa, tell us.
The vast majority of parks across Toronto were used responsibly today. Cyclists and pedestrians got fresh air and exercise as part ActiveTO, where major roads, such as Lake Shore Boulevard and Bayview Avenue, were closed to motorists to allow people to safely get outside. The City thanks them for their efforts.
Tomorrow morning, bylaw enforcement officers and police will have a visible presence in Trinity Bellwoods Park to ensure there are no repeats of the crowds witnessed today. The physical distancing bylaw and provincial emergency order around gatherings will be strictly enforced.
The City recognizes that staying home, self-isolating, and not seeing family and friends over the last several weeks has been incredibly difficult. However, gatherings like today’s at Trinity Bellwoods Park has the potential to set Toronto back in its efforts to beat COVID-19.
Parks in Toronto have remained open throughout the pandemic. The gradual reopening of limited amenities in City parks has come with new explanatory signage, social media communications, daily updates to the City of Toronto website, and in-person education by bylaw officers and police.
The City asks residents for their continued diligence in doing the right thing to stop the spread of COVID-19: practice physical distancing by staying two metres apart from anyone you do not live with; wash your hands regularly; and use City parks and public spaces responsibly."
#LongTermCare; #IndependentCommission; #ImpactOfCovid19
Ottawa, May 19 (Canadian-Media): Dr. Merrilee Fullerton, Minister of Long-Term Care, issued the following statement May 19 in response to the impact of COVID-19 in Ontario's long-term care homes.
Dr. Merrilee Fullerton. Image credit: Twitter Handle
"Our government has been clear that we will review the long-term care system to get a better understanding of the impacts and responses to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Today, I am announcing that we will be launching an independent commission into Ontario's long-term care system beginning in September.
Over the next several months, our government will be finalizing details of the commission including terms of reference, membership, leadership of the commission and reporting timelines.
We have been clear the long-term care system in Ontario is broken. We must act quickly and decisively, and that is why an independent non-partisan commission is the best way to conduct a thorough and expedited review.
As we all take steps to contain this pandemic, the Commission will get down to work and provide us with guidance on how to improve the long-term care system and better protect residents and staff from any future outbreaks.
Since day one of COVID-19, our top priority has been to protect the health and safety of all Ontarians. That includes the most vulnerable members of our society like residents in long-term care.
Our government offers our condolences to the families who lost a loved one to COVID-19 while residing in a long-term care home.
Ontarians need and deserve answers, and let me assure you, they will get them."
#Canada; #PublicHealth; #Covid19
Ottawa, May 17 (Canadian-Media): In lieu of a daily in-person update to the media, Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada's Chief Public Health Officer, issued the following statement today:
"As of Sunday, May 17, there are 76,204 COVID-19 cases, including 5,702 deaths. More than 38,159 or 50 per cent of cases are now recovered. Labs across Canada have tested over 1,296,000 people for COVID-19 to date, with about 6 per cent of these testing positive. We are now testing an average of 26,000 to 28,000 people daily. These numbers represent what we know at this moment, and change quickly. I encourage Canadians to consult Canada.ca/coronavirus for the latest information.
We are in the middle of the May long weekend. I know this year it feels a little bittersweet. The safety brake is still on when we would usually be revving up for summer: pulling out the bikes, maybe a canoe, dusting off the deck chairs and putting up the patio lanterns to launch a season of socializing out and about.
At the same time, we are all well aware of how much effort we have put in to plank the curve, and I know none of us is interested in giving up the progress we have made. That means we have to do this May long weekend a bit differently - and that is okay, because this is a uniquely Canadian holiday and we write our own history.
So this year, by keeping our public health practices UP to keep the curve DOWN, we will be celebrating this May long weekend plank-style.
Since not every area of Canada is at the same place in terms of COVID-19 activity, Canadians will need to follow local public health authorities for specific advice. But no matter where we are in the country, the most important way to get out safely is to maintain physical distancing, and keep up our now-exquisite hand hygiene and cough etiquette. Most importantly, if you have any symptoms, even if they are mild, stay home!
Otherwise, get outdoors and enjoy Canada's wide open spaces, share a smile or wave across the street, light up those patio lanterns and have a virtual outdoor party - whatever way you decide to get your plank on this weekend - keep your bubble size small, your virtual size big and your helping hands clean!"
#Indians; #StrandedIndians; Covid19Pandemic; HighCommissionOfIndiaInOttawa;
Toronto, May 8 (Canadian-Media): Phased return of nearly three lakh Indians, mainly students stranded in Canada due to COVID-19 pandemic is being planned by the office of the High Commissioner of India in Ottawa (Canada), media reports said.
Passengers would be medically screened before embarkation and only asymptomatic passengers would be allowed to travel. All these passengers are required to follow the protocols issued by Government agencies during the journey.
On reaching the destination, all arrivals must register on the Arogya Setu app and be medically screened. After scrutiny, they would be quarantined for 14 days, either in a hospital or in an institutional quarantine on payment basis, by the State government concerned. COVID test would be done after 14 days and further action would be taken according to health protocols.
As a contingency planning exercise, the High Commission of India in Canada and Consulate General of India in Toronto and Vancouver are preparing a list of distressed Indian citizens in Canada.
All Indian nationals in Canada with compelling reasons to travel to India are requested to register by filling the information sheet on following link:
They are also reqired to sign an agreement to abide by the health protocols in India.
Indians returning from Canada will not require a Covid-19 negative certification as is not issued by Canada.
Nevertheless these passengers will be subject to the conditions and rules notified by the government.
They will be required to pay for the mandatory 14-day quarantine period in a hospital or institutional facility selected by the relevant state government. The passengers will undergo a Covid-19 test after a fortnight.
People planning to travel from Canada to India are requested to start registrations at this time to help officials in planning out the schedule of flights between selected destinations in India more efficiently, Indian officials said.
#WorldPressFreedomDay; #MediaFreedomCoalition; #JournalismWithoutFearOrFavour
Ottawa, May 4 (Canadian-Media): Canada's Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, issued May 3 the following statement on World Press Freedom Day.
Justin Trudeau. Image credit: Official site
“Today, on World Press Freedom Day, we reflect on the crucial work of journalists in Canada and around the world. We also honour the dedicated journalists who have lost their liberty or their lives while in pursuit of the truth.
“The theme of this year’s World Press Freedom Day is ‘Journalism without Fear or Favour’. It reinforces the fact that press freedom cannot be achieved unless journalists can work safely, free from censorship, intimidation, and violence. When journalists and other media workers cannot investigate and report without interference, the public is deprived of reliable, accurate information and the foundation of our democracies starts to erode.
“Freedom of expression and access to information are vitally important, even more so during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Journalists are working tirelessly on the front lines, at home, and abroad to report on a rapidly evolving global health crisis. But they are doing much more than that: they are keeping us informed and helping us stay safe.
“A free-thinking, independent, and respected media is the cornerstone of any democracy. One cannot exist without the other. That is why Canada continues to defend press freedom and condemn all attempts to stifle the press. It is also why, together with other members of the Media Freedom Coalition, Canada calls on all states to protect access to free media and support the free exchange of information during this pandemic.
“Today, we recognize all the journalists and media workers who start conversations, shine light on stories that would otherwise not be told, expose injustices, and hold the powerful to account – often at great personal risk. They are a vital part of all healthy democracies and, through their work, they spur change and increased transparency that benefit all of us.”