#Ontario; #NursingHomes; #Covid19Outbreak; #NursingHomesDeaths
Ottawa, Jun 16 (Canadian-Media): Legal action is being taken by the families of seniors who died in nursing homes due to coronavirus and are demanding accountability, media reports said.
Long term care home. Image credit: Wikipedia
One of the long term care facilities, Toronto’s Extendicare Guildwood (TEG), has reported that to date the that vast majority of the 159 residents have been infected and nearly 50 have died from the coronavirus.
At a recent protest outside the facility, members of devastated families circled quietly, many carrying photographs of their dead loved ones and said they want answers and accountability that is long overdue.
These protestors are urging changes in the Long term care to make seniors visible and not hidden.
Some said that they had witnessed their loved ones being deprived of water and other basic necessities.
Others said that in spite of several calls at the long term facilities, there was no reply. The phone just went of ringing, they said.
Challenges about staffing being faced was also acknowledged by TEG.
TEG added this issue had been since addressed by hiring dozens of new staff.
During the provincial inspection before the outbreak of the pandemic that the home was dangerously short-staffed.
TEG has been in lockdown since mid-March, and had reported an outbreak of COVID-19 on April 23.
TEG gave its condolences to those who've lost loved ones but said it does not speak publicly about specific residents.
TEG said it also managed to get support from hospital partners to improve its infection control, including deep-cleaning the facility and cohorting all residents.
TEG also said that until the stabilization of the outbreak, it is handing over the day- to-day management of the facility to the Scarborough Health network, a local health agency.