#JohnTory; #fundingcuts; #TorontoPublicHealth; #hallwayhealthcare
Toronto, Apr 24 (Canadian-Media): Toronto Mayor, John Tory issued the following statement on provincial funding cuts to Toronto Public Health, media reports said.
"The province is cutting $1 billion of funding to Toronto Public Health over the next 10 years.
The province says it is slowly shifting the cost-sharing model over the next three years. It is not – these cuts are retroactive to April 1 of this year and they have been done without any consultation whatsoever.
We have been honest with residents that these cuts – which amount to $64 million starting this year – will hurt services provided by Toronto Public Health that save lives and, ultimately, save healthcare costs.
If you want to end hallway healthcare, investing in public health – not cutting it back – is the way to do it.
Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Eileen de Villa has been clear that all services provided, or funded, by Toronto Public Health are at risk as a result of cuts by the Ontario government. Approximately 91% of public health's budget goes to the frontline services that protect and help all our residents, especially children and seniors.
Funding that goes to Toronto Public Health right now supports 602 school communities to provide more than 37 million meals to more than 200,000 children and youth in Toronto.
The province has yet to clarify how it can cut funding to Toronto Public Health without that cut applying to student nutrition programs.
These cuts put the health and well-being of our city at risk. Last year alone, Toronto Public Health:
We have been clear that this is an incredibly serious funding change which puts our city's health at risk and will put lives at risk here in Toronto and across the province.”