#Alberta; #RCMP; Canada #BanffNationalPark; #CBSA; #US
Alberta, Jun 22 (IBNS): Seven tickets were issued by Alberta Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) to Americans who stopped in Banff National Park in Alberta to see the sights last week despite Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)'s current rules which bans non-essential travel between Canada and the United States till July 21, media reports said.
CBSA. Image credit: Twitter handle
According to CBSA's current rules, Americans traveling through Canada to get home or get to work in Alaska must travel along a direct path.
Americans traveling through Canada to the United States are required to declare the purpose of their travel to the officers at the CBSA and only if their purposes are deemed essential, CBSA allows them to proceed.
At least six of the seven tickets issued last week, said RCMP Cpl. Deanna Fontaine, under the Alberta Health Act at a rate of $1,200 each, were related to Americans who had stopped for long periods of time to go hiking in Banff National Park.
#Ontario; #OPP; #London; #Covid19Outbreak; #CommunityProtection;
London (ON), Jun 9 (Canadian-Media): The Ontario government is opening a new leading edge Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Communications Centre in London. This new high-tech facility will provide officers and civilian staff with the modern communications technology needed to better serve and protect communities in Ontario.
"Our government recognizes that provincial police officers continually encounter new challenges on the job, whether it's enforcing the law during the COVID-19 outbreak or combatting new online criminal activity," said Sylvia Jones, Solicitor General. "This new facility will help ensure our provincial officers and staff have the state-of-the-art facilities, equipment and technology they need to fight crime and keep people safe."
The new 35,000 square-foot communications centre will house 135 civilian members and officers who handle emergency and non-emergency calls for service. Equipped with advanced technology, the facility will serve an assigned area of more than 170,000 square kilometres and a population that reaches approximately 850,000 people during the summer months. The new centre will also support other OPP jurisdictions as needed and provide the space OPP officers and civilian members need to conduct their work in an improved workplace environment.
"The new Provincial Communications Centre will allow the OPP to enhance their services and ensure frontline officers can meet the demands of modern police operations" said Laurie Scott, Minister of Infrastructure. "We are committed to investing in infrastructure that puts people's safety first."
"The new London Provincial Communications Centre is a critical component of the OPP's delivery of emergency services to our communities and the support we provide to our dedicated officers on the front line and in our speciality units," said OPP Commissioner Thomas Carrique. "This modern facility will provide a workplace that is safe, healthy and properly equipped for the civilian and sworn OPP members who work in this high-stress environment."
"I am very proud London is now home to this impressive facility," said Elgin-Middlesex-London MPP and Minister of the Environment, Conservation and Parks, Jeff Yurek. "I am especially proud that the building meets the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Silver Standard, which recognizes buildings with reduced environmental impacts. This will be of great benefit to both the community and the environment and reflects our government's commitment to delivering modern, efficient infrastructure across Ontario."
OPP. Image credit: Twitter handle
#Ontario; #Covid19; #CommercialTenanciesAct; #CECRA; #SmallBusinesses;
Ottawa, Jun 8 (Canadian-Media) The Ontario government announced June 8 that it intends to take action to protect commercial tenants from being locked out or having their assets seized by their landlords due to the negative impacts of COVID-19, media reports said.
The proposed changes to the Commercial Tenancies Act would, if passed, temporarily halt evictions of businesses that are eligible for federal/provincial rent assistance. If passed, the legislation would reverse evictions that occurred on or after June 3, 2020. The government intends to bring this legislation forward as soon as possible.
In partnership with the federal government, Ontario is committing $241 million to the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance (CECRA) for small businesses which is providing more than $900 million in support. CECRA for small businesses provides forgivable loans to eligible commercial landlords to help cover 50 per cent of commercial rent for tenants for the months of April, May and June 2020.
The tenant will be responsible for covering up to 25 per cent of rent, so that up to 75 per cent of the rent is covered. Tenants and landlords can learn how much they may be eligible for by visiting Ontario.ca/rentassistance.
"We need everyone working together to overcome COVID-19," said Steve Clark, Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing. "Commercial tenants who can pay their rent, must do so. Landlords should work with their tenants to come to an agreement and use this joint program. Ontario's small businesses are the backbone of our economy and we need them to flourish."
If passed, the proposed legislation would make it illegal to evict a commercial tenant until August 31, 2020.
"Working with the federal government, we are providing more than $900 million in relief to tenants and landlords," said Rod Phillips, Minister of Finance. "We've been clear we would support small businesses and today's action does just that."
Rod Phillips. Image credit: Twitter handle
"Ensuring the immediate future of our small businesses is critical to helping our economy recover and rebound," said Prabmeet Sarkaria, Associate Minister of Small Business and Red Tape Reduction. "A moratorium on commercial evictions will bring stability to our small businesses and the employees and families they support. Their success is Ontario's success."
#Canada; #DivorceAct; #JusticeCanada
Ottawa, Jun 6 (Canadian-Media): Divorce and separation are a reality for many Canadians, and ensuring that the family justice system can effectively respond to the needs of families in these situations is critical.
Justice Canada. Image credit: Twitter handle
That is why the Government of Canada took action by changing Canada’s federal family laws to promote the best interests of the child, address family violence, help reduce child poverty, and make the family justice system more accessible and efficient.
The COVID-19 pandemic has created challenges on many fronts for Canadians, as well as for the operations of governments, courts and the family justice system.
Today, David Lametti, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada, announced the delay of the coming into force of changes to the Divorce Act, which was scheduled for July 1, 2020. Due to extraordinary circumstances related to the COVID-19 pandemic, the coming into force date has been deferred until March 1, 2021.
Many courts across the country are currently hearing only urgent family law matters, and governments are focused on addressing pandemic-related urgencies and priorities. All of this has made it impossible to undertake the necessary steps for implementation. We understand the changes to the Divorce Act are highly anticipated by family law professionals, provincial and territorial partners and Canadians affected by separation and divorce. However, our partners throughout the family justice system need enough time to implement the legislative changes, including by adjusting their own laws and regulations.