#Canada; #BillMorneau; #WeCharityProbe; CanadaEthicsCommissioner; #MarioDion
Ottawa, Oct 30 (Canadian-Media): Conflict of interest investigation into Canada's former Finance Minister Bill Morneau's relationship with the WE Charity Canada has partially been dismissed by the Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion, the Office of the Ethics Commissioner said.
Canada Ethics Commission. Image credit: Unsplash
"I can confirm that Commissioner Dion did inform former Finance Minister Bill Morneau yesterday that some of the allegations in his examination were discontinued," Office of the Ethics Commissioner spokesperson Maha Achkar said in an email on Thursday.
The Office of the Ethics Commissioner said it cannot comment further as other parts of the investigation are ongoing, the spokesperson said.
Morneau was cleared by Dion of wrongdoing relating to a $30,830 previously uncovered expenses during family trips to participate in the charity's projects abroad.
"I accept that you genuinely believed you had paid for the entire cost of both trips, including the portion of the trip that involved the use of non-commercial chartered aircraft," Dion said in a letter to Morneau, as quoted by the CBC.
Bill Morneau. Image credit: Unsplash
Morneau remains under investigation, the third against Morneau during his five years in office, for failing to recuse himself from the decision to award the WE Charity a $670-million sole-source contract to administer a government-sponsored student volunteer program.
After facing growing backlash, Morneau resigned Aug 17 as Fin minister and as a parliamentarian.
#ElectionsSaskatchewan, #SaskatchewanLegislature, #Saskatchewan29thProvincialElection, #SaskatchewanMajorityGovernment
Saskatchewan, Oct 26 (Canadian-Media): Saskatchewan's 29th provincial election, the third provincial election held in Canada during the COVID-19 pandemic, polls opened Monday morning as the Saskatchewan Party seeks a fourth consecutive mandate, media reports said.
Elections Saskatchewan. Image Credit: Facebook page
Voters casting a ballot in-person today are being strongly recommended by Elections Saskatchewan to wear a mask at the polls and stay home if feeling unwell.
A record-breaking 119,394 voters had already attended Advance poll by Oct 22.
61,225 Saskatchewan residents have received mail ballots.
Although voters would cast their ballots in-person Oct 29 from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. CST, the results of the polls are not expected to be available to Elections Saskatchewan after polls close tonight.
Ballots sent by mail will only begin to be counted on Wednesday to account for the mail ballot results.
Formation of a majority government requires thirty-one seats.
During the dissolution of Saskatchewan Legislature at the end of its fixed four-year term, the Saskatchewan Party held 46 seats and the New Democratic Party held 13. The remaining two seats in the 61-seat legislature were vacant.
#Canada; #LiberalGovt; #ConservativeParty; #HouseOfCommons
Ottawa, Oct 22 (Canadian-Media): Canada Liberal government's feeling victorious by surviving a confidence vote on a Conservative motion to create a special committee to probe the government's ethics and pandemic spending, was short-lived, media reports said.
Image: Justin Trudeau. Image credit: Facebook page
The Canadians thought since the Liberal Govt had survived the confidence vote, there would no need for them to head to the polls for a snap fall election.
But, the Conservatives were given another chance to put a motion before the House of Commons, this time with the proposal more aggressive than the earlier one.
According to the proposal, the health committee would be called to launch a study "on the emergency situation facing Canadians in light of the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic," with 16 specific points of emphasis, requiring a detailed release of government documents, memos, and correspondence from nearly a half-dozen offices and departments including the Prime Minister's Office, Health Canada, and the Public Health Agency of Canada.
Canada House of Commons. Image credit: Twitter handle
#Quebec, #Canada, #Covid19; #PartialLockdown; #FrançoisLegault
Quebec, Oct 16 (Canadian-Media): Quebec Premier François Legault said Oct 15 during a news conference that the current partial lockdown, which is already halfway through a 28-day period is yielding the desired results.
Image: François Legault. Image credit: Twitter handle
The latest data on the evolution of COVID-19 over the past 24 hours in Québec revealed 969 new cases, bringing the total number of people infected to 89,963.
Due to the fluctuating spike in Coronavirus cases in Quebec, the government had to resort to the drafting of a long, complex list of activities that were prohibited or allowed only under certain circumstances.
In addition to the ban on social gatherings, bars, restaurant dining rooms, gyms and movie theatres have been closed.
Repeating his comments he made earlier this week, Legault said Christmas gatherings will likely not be permitted this year.
He added that it was too soon to say exactly what the guidelines will be this winter, but that Quebecers should be prepared for a smaller holiday season.
According to suggestions by some that more restrictions be kept in place after the current wave subsides, as opposed to returning to the level of freedom enjoyed in the summer, which would avoid the need for disruptive lockdowns.
When asked earlier this week whether Legault intended to continue applying the approach of going back and forth between states of confinement and freedom, he said that he did not see much of an option.
"When you look at just about every other country in the world, they played yo-yo, he said. "What we have before us is an extraordinary situation. No one has been through this before," said Legault.