#Manitoba; #CERB; #PhasedReductionOfBenefit
Manitoba, Jul 14 (Canadian-Media): Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister during his daily briefings said that the federal government should redesign the Canadian Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) so it does not penalize Canadians wanting to return to work.
Brian Pallister. Image credit: Twitter handle
“CERB is increasingly acting as a work disincentive to some Canadians, as it penalizes them financially for returning to work full time,” said Pallister in a news release. “Businesses need workers as they restart. Changing CERB so returning workers can keep some of this benefit, rather than lose it all at once, would help both businesses and workers.”
In the news release, Pallister argued that the current CERB rules disqualify workers who earn more than $1,000 a month and added the the federal government should consider a phased reduction of the benefit as workers return to their previous or new jobs.
Pallister has written to all premiers urging them encourage the federal government to make changes to the CERB to remove disincentives to work as well as encourage Canadians to transition back to their jobs with the support of an expanded Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS).
Last week the premier met with representatives of Canada’s major business organizations and leading economic and financial think tanks, as well as the parliamentary budget officer, to solicit ideas and input as Manitoba moves to restart its economy and plan for a strong economic recovery and job creation.
Two broad issues of the meetings included Canada’s current and forecast economic and financial situation, including the state of business confidence and federal response, as well as Manitoba’s fiscal and economic situation including Manitoba’s COVID response and recovery initiatives, the premier noted.
The point that emerged from the meeting was that all governments, particularly the federal government, must begin to change their focus to economic growth and recovery so Canadians have jobs.