Ontario; LongTermCareHomes; #NewRegulations; #Development
Ottawa, Jul 16 (Canadian-Media): An investment of $1.75 billion over the next five years was announced July 15 by Ontario Premier Doug Ford for the development of Long Term Care Homes, details of which were provided jointly by Ford, Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott, and Ontario Long-Term Care Minister Merrilee Fullerton in the news conference.
Doug Ford. Image credit: Video grab
Ford said that Ontario had inherited 15 years of underinvestment in long-term care with a long waitlist of seniors and this funding would be used ensure our most vulnerable citizens can live in modern surroundings.
"That's why our new funding model will not only encourage new beds to be built faster, but also upgrade existing older homes to meet high quality design standards, with features like air conditioning and private or semi-private rooms. Our seniors deserve nothing less," said Ford.
Elliot said that the new build long-term care homes would be equipped with modern standards according to provincial health standards.
Fullerton said that newly designed model, a signature element of our government's plan to address capacity in long-term care had been neglected for years would and would reduce the waiting as well as create jobs and contribute to our economic recovery.
Nearly 78,000 Ontario residents currently live in 626 long-term care homes across the province.
With more 38,000 people currently on the waitlist, the new long-term care home construction has not kept pace.