#Quebecborder, #Canada, #asylumseekers, #RoyalCanadianMountedPolice, #RCMP, #RalphGoodale
Montreal/Ottawa, May 14 (Canadian-Media): Almost 96 percent of asylum seekers who had so far crossed illegally into Canada in 2018 have done so through the Quebec border, media reports said.
Latest figures of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police reportedly indicated 7,612 people who had entered Canada outside official ports of entry during the first four months of 2018.
More than 7,300 of them had crossed the Canada-U.S. border into Quebec, while Ontario and British Columbia each had received the remainder, about 150 asylum seekers so far in 2018.
The federal government had been urged by Quebec leaders to help pay costs associated with the overrepresentation of asylum seekers in the province.
The official opposition of Quebec had requested Ottawa to suspend an agreement with the United States to encourage future refugees to enter outside official border crossings.
Earlier this month, Ralph Goodale, Canada's Public Safety Minister, had said his government was exploring with the U.S. to reopen the so-called Safe Third Country Agreement.
This agreement would reportedly allow both countries to turn back asylum seekers at border crossings except when they enter through an illegal point of entry.
In recent months, the number of new arrivals of asylum seekers has dramatically increased from 2017.