#BlackLoyalistWomen; #NovaScotia, #ChallengesFaced; #18thcentury
Annapolis Royal (Nova Scotia), July 20 (Canadian-Media): Colin Fraser, Member of Parliament for West Nova in partnership with The Historical Association of Annapolis Royal and the town of Annapolis Royal, at a ceremony held at the wharf in Annapolis Royal yesterday, unveiled a commemorative plaque in honour of Rose Fortune, a Black Loyalist, and challenges faced by Black Loyalist women, in colonial Nova Scotia during the 18th century, media reports said.
"On behalf of the Government of Canada, I am pleased to recognize the national historic significance of Rose Fortune...one of Annapolis Royal’s most iconic figures. Her legacy in Nova Scotia and the African-Canadian community represents the endurance of Black Loyalists...reflect Canada’s rich and varied history and I encourage all Canadians to learn more about Rose Fortune and her important contributions to Canada’s heritage," said Fraser.
An announcement was made to this effect on behalf of the Minister of Environment and Climate Change and Minister responsible for Parks Canada, Catherine McKenna.
Born into slavery in the British colonies (that became the United States), Rose Fortune and her family were part of the more than 3,000 Black Loyalists who after earned their freedom after arriving in Nova Scotia in 1783-84 due to support of the British during the American Revolution.
Historic designations, like that of Rose Fortune, reflect the rich and varied history of Canada and provide an opportunity for Canadians to connect with our diverse heritage.
Celebrating its centennial year in 2019, the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, through Government of Canada, recognizes significant people, places, and events that shaped and Canadians and youth connect with their past. To date, more than 2,150 designations have been made.
#UnitedNations; #InternationalDecadeforPeopleofAfricanDescent; #Toronto, #Ontario; #MCBonde, #JohnTory; #ConfrontingAnti-BlackRacismPlan; #GeorgeElliottClarke; #GiulianaCarbone
Toronto, Mar 22 (Canadian-Media): United Nations' Decade for People of African descent will be recognized by the City of Toronto by organizing an event on March 25 to acknowledge March 25 as the International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade, media reports said.
The International Decade for People of African Descent (IDPAD) was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in a Resolution adopted on 23 December 2013 with its theme "People of African descent: recognition, justice and development."
Toronto's recognition of this decade would demonstrate the City's commitment to the Confronting Anti-Black Racism Plan and Decade's themes of recognition, justice and development for People of African descent.
Poet and playwright George Elliott Clarke and MC Bonde, host of the African Groove on G98.7 FM would be joined on that day by Toronto Mayor John Tory and Deputy City Manager Giuliana Carbone at Toronto City Hall, Members' Lounge, 100 Queen St. W. from 6-8 pm.
John Tory/Facebook Giuliana Carbone/Twitter
George Elliot Clarke/Twitter MC Bonde/Twitter
Included in the part of event's festivities, Live performances, a visual art exhibition and a Pan African ceremony would be organized.
In proclaiming this Decade, the City joins the global community in recognizing that people of African descent represent a distinct group whose human rights must be promoted and protected.
#Rohingyacrisis; #BobRae; #Myanmar; #CSRDN; #DrAliyaKhan; #CanadiansinSupportofRefugeesinDireNeed; #MyanmarCrisisReliefFund; #ChrystiaFreeland
Myanmar/Ottawa, May 19 (Canadian-Media): Canada's federal government had been urged by a group of Canadian aid workers to take fast action on some of the recommendations made in a report on the Rohingya crisis by Bob Rae, Canada’s special envoy to Myanmar, media reports said.
The wait had been unacceptable, said the group Canadians in Support of Refugees in Dire Need (CSRDN) at a news conference in Toronto on Friday.
“We must lead the international community. The inaction is unbelievable,” said CSRDN co-chair Dr. Aliya Khan.
Canadians in Support of Refugees in Dire Need/Facebook
Bob Rae, the former premier of Ontario and Liberal Member of Parliament (MP) had presented his recommendations in April.
Khan said that it has been six weeks since the government released a report from Rae outlining the crisis, yet no actions had been taken.
A spokesperson for Global Affairs Canada said that “we are examining these recommendations and will have more to announce very soon.”
Global Affairs had stated that Canada had provided $45.9-million for aid partners to deliver life-saving and gender-responsive support for displaced refugees and communities since the beginning of 2017.
This included $12.5-million for the Myanmar Crisis Relief Fund that matched the generous contributions Canadians made last year.
Numerous deaths, along with the rapes of many women and young girls in August last year resulted from the latest attacks by the Myanmar military .
An additional 700,000 Rohingya people, as a result, had to seek refuge in Bangladesh camps.
According to official reports on May 25 it will be nine months since these attacks, meaning that the impregnated women and girls were delivering babies in extremely unsanitary conditions.
Almost 60 babies a day were being born, many of whom are at risk of abandonment, infection and death, a report released by the United Nations said
Chrystia Freeland, Canada’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, said in an e-mailed statement:
“I agree with the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein, who has described the campaign against the Rohingya as a ‘textbook case of ethnic cleansing’ and who has stated that he ‘has strong suspicions that acts of genocide may have taken place in Rakhine State since August.’”
Freeland should reportedly go further and invoke the United Nations Genocide Convention, said John Packer, a University of Ottawa professor and director of the university’s Human Rights Research and Education Centre.
#Ottawa, #Montreal, #Toronto, #Calgary, #Vacouver, #B.C., #Canada, #UnitedStates, #deadlyhighschoolshooting, #Parkland, #Florida, #U.S.Consulate, #LouisMarch, #WilfridLaurierUniversity, #WashingtonD.C., #MarchforOurLives
Ottawa, Mar 26 (Canadian-Media): More than a dozen Canadian cities hosted marches to call for stricter gun control laws in both Canada and the United States in the wake of a deadly high school shooting that killed 17 people in Parkland, Fla, media reports said.
The massive March for Our Lives rally in Washington, D.C. organized by American students calling for change in the wake of the tragedy in deadly school shooting was supported by several hundred people joined local events in both Montreal and Toronto.
March for Our Lives/Wikipedia
In one of Montreal's two marches, before setting off towards the city's U.S. consulate, hundreds of protesters swayed together singing Glory, Hallelujah.
Demonstrators in Toronto began the 1.5-kilometre march from Nathan Phillips Square to Queen's Park and the signs protesting both gun violence in the U.S. and recent shootings that have plagued the city were carried by the marchers, pointing out that Canada was not immune to tragedy.
Organizers held a moment of silence, along the way, in front of the U.S. consulate for the victims of the Florida shooting killed on Valentine's Day.
"I think it's important to have this march today in solidarity with students in the United States because gun violence is taking its toll on families, individuals, communities across North America…," said Louis March, a co-founder of Toronto's Zero Gun Violence Movement was reported to state.
Democrats Abroad Vancouver and March on Vancouver held a rally In Vancouver, which began at 10 a.m. PT at Jack Poole Plaza with speeches by students.
Protesters walked to the U.S. consulate before returning to the plaza.
"The gun violence epidemic in America touches both Americans and Canadians living in Vancouver," said spokesperson Bodil Geyer in a release.
"You can't just stand silently and watch your neighbour go through a crisis like this."
Ottawa's rally was organized by students from high schools across the city.
Elsewhere in Ontario, the Waterloo region's rally took place at Wilfrid Laurier University.
Hundreds of thousands of people attended the march in Washington, D.C., with smaller gatherings held in over 800 cities across the world.
(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)
#Mentorshipprograms, #MichaelCoteau, #Ontario, #TogetherWeCan, #Ontario Black Youth Action Plan, #DwayneDixon
Toronto, July 28 (Canadian-Media): 25 locally developed mentorship initiatives in priority communities, including the Greater Toronto (Toronto and its adjoining cities) and Hamilton Area, Ottawa and Windsor are being supported by a new mentorship program being launched by Ontario to build confidence and develop skills in Black children and youth in school and work, a news release said.
Michael Coteau, Minister of Children and Youth Services and Minister Responsible for Anti-Racism announced a new program ‘Together We Can’ earlier this week at Alexandra Park Community Centre in Toronto to help improve the futures of Black community.
Michael Coteau: Facebook
“Together We Can is a great example of an on-the-ground solution to help improve the futures of Black children, youth and their families. Partnering with local community organizations to provide mentorship opportunities specifically for Black children and youth will help them build the skills and connect them with the opportunities they need to succeed,” said Coteau, said the release.
Over the next four years Ontario would be investmenting $9 million, continued the release, for mentorship programs.
These mentorship programs, which are part of ‘Together We Can’, are being designed with the help of an external implementation steering committee which comprises youth, leaders and experts from the Black community, as well as from community engagement sessions' feedbacks.
Four mentorship programs are already in development and will be delivered by: by the African-Canadian Coalition of Community Organizations in the Regent Park and Alexandra Park community in Toronto, NIA Centre for the Arts in the Vaughan area, Tropicana Community Services in Scarborough, and Big Brothers Big Sisters of Peel, in partnership with the Black Community Advisory Council in Peel Region.
‘Together We Can’ is part of the Ontario Black Youth Action Plan, with a $47 million commitment for four years and aims to help reduce inequalities for more than 10,000 Black children, youth and families in Ontario, said the release.
Ontario Black Youth Action Plan in alignment with ‘A Better Way Forward: Ontario's 3-Year Anti-Racism Strategic Plan’ was announced in February 2017 to reduce race-based disparities.
After this four-year's $47 million plan is fully developed, it will support nearly 10,800 Black children and their families annually in their education, employment and decision making processes.
More than 25 engagement sessions on the Ontario Black Youth Action Plan, the release said, have been held in 13 communities across the province since May of this year and these sessions will continue throughout the summer.
“Very early in my artistic journey, when I was coming up, there were very limited opportunities (financial or otherwise) for young black artists to make the arts a viable career choice. With the support of MCYS via the Ontario Black Youth Action Plan I'm confident, experiences like mine will be the exception and not the rule. I've made it my purpose to make a difference for the next generation, and so too has the Province of Ontario,” said Dwayne Dixon, Executive Director, Nia Centre for the Arts, the release said.
(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)