#Toronto; #Tennis; #BiancaAndreescu; #USOpenChampionship; #Covid19Shutdown
Toronto, Aug 14 (Canadian-Media): The 20-year-old Canadian tennis star Bianca Andreescu announced Aug 13 that she will not defend her United States (US) Open championship, citing a lack of preparation because of injuries and the COVID-19 pandemic shutdown, media reports said.
Bianca Andreescu. Image credit: Twitter handle
Andreescu said she hasn't played a match since she suffered a knee injury last October and added that she was dropping out of the tournament, which is due to begin on Aug. 31 in New York
"I have taken this step in order to focus on my match fitness and ensure that I return ready to play at my highest level," Andreescu said in a statement.
"The U.S. Open victory last year has been the high point of my career thus far and I will miss ... being there. However, I realize that the unforeseen challenges, including the COVID pandemic, have compromised my ability to prepare and compete to the degree necessary to play at the highest level."
Andreescu has been impeded by injuries for large part of her career. Even in her breakthrough 2019 campaign, she missed most of the clay- and grass-court seasons because of injury.
Several other high-profile players have withdrawn from the tournament due to the coronavirus, including Spain's Rafael Nadal, the 2019 men's champion.